Saturday 4 February 2012

They rang me!!!!!!

So the last time before I got all lovey dovey on you, I explained how I had to have examinations.

I was pretty nervous about ringing to get my results! BUT My doctor rang me!

I can not explain how scared I was, I did not know what to think! Every possible thing was racing through my mind!

I won't lie, I was panicking, They only ring you when they find something, I just wanted to break down!

My doctor explained what they had found nd how it effects the body, But it just went stright thrugh me i couldn't concentrate. 

It's called Haemolytic Strepococcus Group B (GBS)

Group B
S. agalactiae, or GBS, causes pneumonia and meningitis in neonates and the elderly, with occasional systemic bacteremia. They can also colonize the intestines and the female reproductive tract, increasing the risk for premature rupture of membranes and transmission to the infant. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control recommend all pregnant women between 35 and 37 weeks gestation should be tested for GBS. Women who test positive should be given prophylactic antibiotics during labor, which will usually prevent transmission to the infant.[6] In the UK, clinicians have been slow to implement the same standards as the US, Australia and Canada. In the UK, only 1% of maternity units test for the presence of Group B Streptococcus.[7] Although the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists issued risk-based guidelines in 2003 (due for review 2006), the implementation of these guidelines has been patchy. As a result, over 75 infants in the UK die each year of GBS-related disease, and another 600 or so suffer serious infection, most of which could be prevented;[8] however, this is yet to be substantiated by randomized, controlled trial in the UK setting and, given the evidence for the efficacy of testing and treating from other countries, it may be that the large-scale trial necessary would receive neither funding nor ethics approval. 

It finally made sense to me why I became so ill, nd had so much pain. It pretty much effected every part of my body as it was left to grow!

I did feel very angry that it went on for so long, when I was asking my doctor to do these tests on me for over a year, but said I didnt need them! Again I know my own body!

I felt so frustrated that they didnt listen to me! But I can't complain as it's now being sorted. I'm on medication to sort it, and i can see and feel the good changes in my body!

Turns out I didn't need the surgery! But we got the result in the end!


1 comment:

  1. Ooooh I'm sorry to hear this =( It drives me mad when the doc's say you don't need this and you don't need that! I'm like, 'Something is def not right here! Arghhh!' I know what you're going through, I am constantly in pain every single day, it affects my way of life so badly. I'm glad you left me your link on More Mag's wall, I can so relate to this blog.

    I'm glad you got an answer to your problem and that you're on the mend!

    Jen xx

    ReplyDelete